Individual and Relationship Consultant, Divorce Coach and Mediator
Master of Science Marriage and Family Therapy, Family Law and Mediation, Certificated School Counselor
455 UNIVERSITY AVENUE, SUITE 240, SACRAMENTO
Healthier Families Produce Competent, Emotionally Resilient Children.
Children of separated parents do best when both their parents stay very involved in their lives, raise them in a positive, balanced, authoritative manner, and make decisions about them with minimal conflict and bitterness toward each other.
Healthier Family Functioning Includes:
- Effective Problem Solving
- Verbal Communication
- Role Functioning
- Emotional Responsiveness
- Emotional Involvement
- Behavior Control
Positive and complimentary parenting skills necessary for effective and healthy co-parenting can be learned by any motivated parent. Research consistently indicates that children of separated parents display better long-term adjustment when their parents:
- Acquire awareness about the impact of their conflict on their children
- Practice using calm and child-centered language
- Practice keeping perspective, thinking flexibly and considering each other's concerns when frustrated
- Practice positive parenting and behavior control skills.
Essential Qualities to Healthy Co-Parenting:
- Flexible thinking and problems-solving about the causes and solutions to typical problems, and positive assumptions about the other parent’s intentions
- Clear, direct, Business-like, Informative, Polite and Solution-focused (BIPS) verbal and e-mail communication
- Parents consistently manage their separate households and also their shared responsibilities, i.e., schedules, exchanges, communication, and they respect boundaries
- Calm interest and responsiveness to each other’s concerns
- Realistic acceptance that, despite previous dreams and disappointments, children can be successfully raised in two homes
Unfortunately, unsuccessful co-parents too often confuse venting with problem solving. They assume the worst and go into fight, flight or freeze modes.
If you desire to improve the communication and overall functioning of your relationship with your former spouse and/or parent of your child(ren), then contact Stephanie. You and your co-parent will recieve education and guidance in a supportive enviroment. You will attend 8 weeks of goal oriented, private, educational sessions for a flat rate fee.